Junior League of Fort Worth Response to COVID-19
Recognizing that we are living in an unsettling and unusual time, the Junior League of Fort Worth (JLFW) has made several decisions regarding the remainder of the 2019-2020 League year. When tragedy strikes, our members are typically able to rally together to serve and make an impact; in this situation, for the safety of our city and its people our members must stay apart and help each other in creative ways. It’s truly unprecedented.
In March, the Board of Directors met virtually a few times to assess our community’s health and our League’s operations, all the while monitoring news and requirements from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Tarrant County Public Health and the City of Fort Worth.Volunteer Activities, Events & Programs
- All JLFW volunteering and community events through May 31, 2020, are cancelled.
- The JLFW is waiving all 2019-2020 placement, training and fundraiser/community collaboration requirements for Active and Provisional members through May 31, 2020. It is of utmost importance to us that no member feel anxiety about her League requirements during this difficult time.
- The May General Membership Meeting (GMM), Annual Meeting and Passing of the Gavel is cancelled. The April GMM was held virtually, with 350+ members.Community Care and Support
- Diapers collected by our members from September until March have been dispersed into the hands of people that need them now. All JLFW-collected diapers are being distributed through the JLFW Diaper Bank via Tarrant Area Food Bank. The JLFW Diaper Bank Committee reports that an estimated 19,000 diapers have been provided to the community right now in a time of need.
- The Community Opportunities Fund (COF) is a resource available through the JLFW to offer aid to local nonprofits. These emergency need grants are intended to support agencies with un-budgeted or unplanned for expenses that arise. In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the 2019-2020 Board of Directors voted to move portions of community budget that will not be spent in this League year to support the COF. These funds are being used to provide additional cleaning and sanitation supplies to homeless shelters, purchase and deliver food to children now unable to take advantage of school meals, help with expenses such as utilities and food for clients seeking refuge from abusers and more. More than $50,000 will be distributed.Gratitude & ThankfulnessPresident Ashley Freer and the 2019-2020 Board of Directors would like to thank members for the support and love that they have continually shown for our community and our organization since COVID-19 began to impact Fort Worth and our surrounding area. We also recognize and thank those serving on the frontlines with your careers and businesses, and all adjusting to support loved ones, children, neighbors and friends.